Sunday, November 6, 2011

Weekly Email

Hi Mom,

I was busy last week. But mostly I just forgot :-(. Thanks for news on Tom Shrader's wife. I hadn't heard that. I'm still listening to his 'tapes' (CDs now really - but when I started listening they were cassette tapes :-).  They are a bit delayed so he hasn't mentioned anything in the current set of lessons I have in the car. She got to see a lot of things before she died - weddings and grandbabies. I know he thinks it's a celebration that she's with the Lord. But still hard. 

Theresa's next door neighbor, Paul Bowman, died last week as well.  He was an interesting individual - the obituary describes a lot of the things he did.  I was amazed at all the different jobs. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kansascity/obituary.aspx?n=PAUL-BOWMAN&pid=154290889

We've had a couple of snows since I last wrote. The first one was 12" and the second one was 7". Both on Tuesday night into wednesday morning. They are predicting some more for this week too. It was really wet, heavy snow bringing down a lot of branches. We lost an aspen tree out front. And some minor limbs in the back. There were still alot of leaves on the trees that the snow yanked down. Now I need the snow to melt so I can rake leaves. 

6320418256_192cdea196.jpg

Chloe had her first mandatory 'behind the wheel' lesson today. She has to take 6 hours total. 2 today, 2 on tues, and 2 on thurs - then she's done. come January she'll be set to get her license. The intructor said she did great and he had no doubt she could pass the test today. This is just a formality. We've been driving together a lot so she is ready. He said some kids come with no driving experience at all. 

Megan had a birthday party sleep over last night.  We don't usually do Sat/Sun sleep overs but it was a special occasion.  We went to her honor roll breakfast on Friday morning.  That was a fun way to honor her hard work and studies!

6320420574_5fba3c0bce.jpg

We talked with Steve and Julie last week to help them figure out flights for Christmas.  We'll probably be arriving and departing around the same time.  So, I'm not sure how we will sort out pickup and drop off for them.  It might have to be a shuttle.  But we'll figure it out.

Halloween last Monday was a pretty big deal as always.  I had to go out to BSF so I missed it.  But Chloe, Megan and friends did go out and cleaned up.  Theresa manned the home front and probably handed out over 400+ pieces of candy.  As I was going out, cars were parked up and down the main street bringing kids in from other neighborhoods.

6319895579_43e3145471.jpg6319885665_d038eba897.jpg

We watched a cute movie last night - "The Perfect Game"- about a Mexican team that won the little league world series in 1957.

I cleaned out the 3rd bay of the garage.  I don't know if I told you but we are participating in a study through the University of Colorado on electric hybrid cars.  We get to drive a plug-in Toyota Prius for free for 9 weeks.  We just have to write about our experience in an online journal weekly.

I think it's been over 5 weeks on the new job now and it's going great.  I'm finally starting to feel a little more comfortable and making a contribution.  I still have a lot to learn.  But so far so good and I'm enjoying it.  I also got all the rulings from the state of Colorado for my Intrado unemployment claim and vacation pay... the big corporate america company wins - no unemployment pay, they sided with them and no vacation pay, once again siding with the company.  Intrado won but in the end I think they lost their humanity.  I should start a protest - 'Occupy Intrado' :-)  the "1%" sticking it to the worker.  Oh well - moving on.

6319894153_f8afaa7243.jpg

Well that's all I know for know.  Good to catch up finally.  I still have to cram on my BSF for tomorrow night.

luv u,

Jeff

On Nov 2, 2011, at 6:49 PM, StuSherard@aol.com wrote:


Hi Jeff,
You have been busy----no update last weekend--------------------------------------??
I have been busy too.
You probably will get this notice by e-mail, but I just wanted to make sure you knew this sad news----Tom Shrader's wife died(cancer).  She lived 2 years beyond the 5 year time frame they gave her.  So sad!!!
I am wondering if you will get more snow this weekend(?)
Dad said the game at West Point(Fordham) Army 45-Fordham 0 was a white out & snow almost up to their knees!!!!
I hiked today---not long hike at all(beautiful weather--up the top of Mt. Lemmon)---went to prayer time at 3p.m. & now off to Gas Light Theater.  I will always remember going for the first time with you all to celebrate Stu's 40th birthday.  Theresa wanted to join up right then.  Do you remember it?
Time to go!!!  Bye, Mom

No comments: