Saturday, January 16, 2010

Weekly Email

Dear Mom,

Sending out the weekly email update a little early this weekend because we have so much going on.

Vet visit with Dotsero first thing this morning. Theresa is meeting with Franci and a potential retreat speaker right now. Squeeze in chores, homework, errands and perhaps a playdate for Megan & Clara this afternoon. Then Chloe has a Winter Dance tonight at school with the pre-party and post-party and possible sleepover. I'm playing on the worship team tomorrow morning. Then we are driving up to meet with Steve and family - for dinner on Sunday night and skiing on Monday. Whew - I'm worn out already.

Last week was my week of health. I visited with the nutritionist and had an introductory meeting. They did some testing to establish my resting metabolic rate. Then we reviewed goals and objectives (primarily cholesterol reduction). Looked at 3-weeks of food logs. From that she made some minor suggestions for now and set up another visit in 2-weeks after she has had a chance to log at the food diary in detail. I have a calorie budget (2260 per day) and some immediate 'homework' to add more protein (cuts down craving for sweets) and soluble fiber (actually flushes out bad cholesterol). Actually - it's all common sense stuff that I already know - I just don't do it :-(

Then there was the heart scan. About 5 minutes waiting out front, then 5 minutes getting scanned - and write a check for $395! Good business to be in. I will get the results from that in about 7-10 days. They will go both to me and my doctor. I think there will be pictures, scores (what % blockage or plaque build up - if any), comparison percentiles (to other men my age) - all to give me a baseline. She did say if there was any significant immediate findings they would let my doctor know who would then contact me to get me in for a 'procedure' ASAP. I didn't get any calls so I presume I'm not going to drop dead immediately (God willing :-).

Dotsero's vet visit this morning was probably worst health news of the week. He looks like he has a knee problem - perhaps a torn ACL. The vet recommended a surgical consult. The surgeon would be able to take x-rays and truly diagnose exactly what it is and whether they would recommend surgery which would probably cost around $3000. In the meantime the vet has recommended and immediate 2-weeks of no activity - total couch potato. No walks, ball chasing, tug of war, stairs, jumping, etc. She did say he'll probably never run again. Two weeks to start some healing, then slow, short, easy walks on soft surfaces. Also - a serious weight loss regime. She wants him to lose about 10lbs - carrying less weight will definitely help the knee. Finally some heavy doses of glucosamine and several aspirin a day for joint lubrication, inflammation and pain mgmt.

Tomorrow after church we will drive up to Avon (10 minutes from Vail - about a 2hr drive from Boulder) and check in at the Westin there. Then hopefully join Steve and family and friends for dinner. Spend the night at the Westin in Avon. Then we'll ski a full-day with them and drive back to Boulder on Monday night. The girls are off of school on Monday for MLK day. I'm taking a day off. I don't think I've skied at Vail in 20 years. I think I remember skiing there once when I worked for Tracer. But I could be confusing it with Aspen. And maybe I have never skied there. We have to sort out some long underwear and skis for Chloe today as one of our errands in the midst of all our other activities.

I did talk with Steve yesterday to wish him a happy birthday. I can't believe how old he is :-)

That's all I know for know.
luv u,

Jeff

No comments: